USB Flash drives are the most common type of storage drive when it comes to “Hard-storage drives” The Invention of these drives can be traced back to decades. Even after the introduction of cloud storage and similar storage options, USB drives have not lost their space. And thus, in a way they outshine all other storage drives.
A USB drive, often addressed to as a data stick is the most portable and handy storage option. And unlike CDs and DVDs, they are not prone to scratches and break too (too some extent though). But, despite of all these upsides one demerit of USB Drives is that they may get corrupt.
What is a corrupt and undetectable USB drive ?
Technically, a corrupt USB drive is a normal USB drive that is physically fit, but unaccessible. On the contrary, an undetectable USB Drive is something which is physically alright, may or may not be corrupt – but is not recognized by your computer. Although there is no perfect answer so as to why USB drives may become corrupt, one of the most common reason is – due to some disturbance in internal linking (wires or programming)
Most of the people do not actually know the process of fixing such drive(s) and hence, regard it as one of the most difficult task (s). However, in this tutorial we have brought to you the most simplest methods to fix a corrupt and/or undetectable USB Drive.
But, before proceeding with the below mentioned steps, let us first check if the USB port of your PC/Laptop is fine too. To check the USB port of your PC follow the below steps:
1. Insert the corrupted drive into the USB port of your PC.
2. If the first USB drive isn’t detected successfully, then insert the second one (good one) and check if it being detected as well.
#Now if the the first drive isn’t detected by your PC but if the second one is detected, then the USB port of your PC is absolutely fine. On the other hand, if your PC doesn’t detect the second USB Drive (good one) too, then there is some issue with the USB port of your PC that needs to be fixed.
How did your USB drive get corrupted ?
No one wants to loose their data that is most commonly stored in the CDs (compact disk) or their thumb drives (USB flash drives). Hence we all adopt various measures to prevent our utilities from getting damaged. But have you ever wondered, despite of some many safety measures how did your USB drive got corrupted or turned undetectable ? Let’s figure out the reasons on by one:-
1. Impatience – lack of patience: How many of us actually safely remove (eject) the USB drive before plugging it our of our Computer or Laptop. Of course, very few of use do so including perhaps you, and me as well.
Often we do not execute this step because maybe we are lazy to do so, or to save some time (a few seconds). However, these few seconds are actually believed to provide your USB drive a long life. So next time, simply eject it from the PC or laptop before you remove it manually.
2 Brand rules, quality matters: We all are brand conscious when to comes certain things, be it your shoes or the clothes that you wear. Hence, we all know the power and utility of a brand.
So why to be miser when it comes to your gadgets and other important utilities. I am sure that if you are here, reading this article that you might have lost your important data or you are a geek and want to learn various techniques.
The brand and and brand of your USB flash drive is directly proportional to it’s life and the variety of purpose(s) it can serve without causing any lags. So if your really concerned for the data that is supposed to be stored in your USB flash drive, go for a quality one.
Fix a corrupted and undetectable USB flash drive Using other version of Windows
1. Safely insert the corrupted USB drive into your computer via USB port.
2. Go to my computer and navigate to the concerned device’s name. The name is represented by “Removable Disk” + the name of your USB drive. The name of the USB drive is generally represented by an alphabet. For eg. – Removable Disk F:
3. Right click on the USB Drive’s icon and click on “Tools” tab. Subsequently, also click the “Check Now” button.
4. Now you will be able to see two options on your screen
#Automatically fix file system errors; and
#Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
For now, check (tick) both of the boxes (options).
5. Now, click on start button. It will ultimately initiate the scanning process. While the scanning process may take some time, you will be notified when it gets completed.
And Bravo !! you have successfully fixed your corrupted USB Drive.
Fix a corrupted and undetectable USB flash drive Using Windows 7
1. The first same remains the same here, insert the USB Flash drive into your computer via the USB port.
2. As mentioned above, go to my computer, navigate to your USB Drive (corrupted one) and right click on it.
3. In the menu that appears click on tools tab and then, click on “Rebuild” Tab.
4. The scanning process begins after you execute the #4th step.
5. As soon as the scanning process is completed, close the dialog box and safely remove your drive. For safely removing the hardware, right click on the concerned drive’s icon and click “Eject”
Steps to reformat your USB Flash Drive:
Note: The below mentioned steps will lead the formatting i.e. clearance of the entire data off your USB drive, so think before you proceed.
1. Open my computer and right click on the concerned device name.
2. In the menu that opens, click on “Format”
In a few seconds, your USB Drive will turn empty
Steps to fix an undetectable USB Drive
1. Open the start menu, and navigate to control panel.
2. From the control panel, look for Device manager and elaborate the list of all the “Disk Drives”
3. Now you will be able to see the list or grid of all the available disk drives. In this list, your USB Drive will be marked with a downwards arrow. Double the device icon and select “Enable Device”
After your device has turned detectable, now it’s time to assign it a name:
1. Navigate to the following path:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools – >> Computer Management
(Choose computer management from administrative tools)
2. Right Click on the concerned USB Drive and select “Change Drive Letter and path”
3. Subsequently click on “Add” and then “OK”
4. Now users can assign the letter of their choice to the USB Flash drive (A-Z)
5. In the last step, right click on the USB Drive to address it as “Online”
The above mentioned are some exclusive and the simplest ways to deal with your corrupted and/or undetectable USB Drive. We hope you will succeed at repairing your USB Drive and also help in saving bucks too (since you need not to buy another one). Did you deal with your corrupted USB Drive any other way and succeeded at it Do let us know that trick too (if we missed it) 😛
Search On TechnoGYD
CheckDuck Review: Only Expired Domains Analysis Tool You Need
If you are an SEO GUY or a Blogger then you might be pretty aware of expired domains, and you...
Top 10 Best Online Presentation Tools for Professional Use
Envision the situation… Your manager has recently requested that you give a presentation to the division at work, which, incidentally,...
Top 10 Best and Cool Tips and Tricks in Excel
It is quite obvious that most of the people in office nowadays prefer working with the help of the magical...
Top 10 Best Video Editing Software for Windows
Well! With the advancement of high technology now gone are the days of that short video documentary by the experts...
Top 5 Sports Streaming Sites to Watch Sports Online
Sports are important and significant, as it is clearly evident from its dominance and effect in today’s world as well....
How to Setup Dual Monitors in Your Office Yourself?
It is quite often seen that people buy monitor mainly with a larger display with a larger desk to keep...
6 Top Rated Car Chargers for Android while you Drive
With the smartphones in the pocket and a Car to drive around in, the official workstation is entirely portable at...
15 Tips for Choosing a Perfect Domain Name
Picking a domain name is like picking an organization name — it requires a great deal of thought and thought....